Sunday, May 18, 2014

Love the art in yourself, not yourself in the art

As I went back to my good old stomping grounds of dear old Davis High yesterday to watch the Advanced Theatre class of 2013-2014, I couldn't help but feel a rush of nostalgia. Throughout my years at Davis I was blessed with many opportunities to be involved with the performing arts. At the end of my junior year I auditioned to be in a class called Advanced Theatre, being in this class was something I had been wanting clear back to my Freshman year. Making this class would be a dream come true. Well after an intense audition and callback I had made the class, my dream was becoming a reality. 

I had always heard that Advanced was like one big family, that you were more than a group of random kids who shared a similar passion for performing. I didn't know how true that statement actually was until I found myself immersed with those people all year. We shared so much together. We were more than friends, more than performers, more than random kids. We were family. From early mornings, late nights, endless amounts of french fries and Dr. Pepper, inside jokes, skipping classes, dance parties, road trips, laughs, tears, heartache, and goodbyes. We did it all, and we did it together. We shared more than our talents, we shared something within ourselves that I can't really explain in words. Those 21 kids were my best friends, and as we said goodbye to each other June 4, 2013; I took a little bit of each of them throughout my next year of life. As we have all gone our separate ways with college and missions I still reflect on the times we've had together, and I know I would not be the person I am today without them. 

So this one is for you guys, sending my love to my Advanced family all around the world,
Bryson Day: LDS Mission, Japan
Trudie Ferrin: Radiology Program, Weber State University
Jess Firmage: LDS Mission, North Carolina
John Garrett: LDS Mission, Argentina 
Becca Hess: Snow College
Carrie Jacobs: Weber State University
Mylie Johnson: Snow College
Allie Mansfield: Davis High School
Brian Milligan: LDS Mission, Philippines
Kindi Nybo: Brigham Young University
John Passey: LDS Mission, California
Austin Petersen: LDS Mission, Oregon
Clytie Robinette: Davis High School
Shayli Quass: Brigham Young University-Idaho
Amy Savage: Utah Valley University
Jake Smith: Davis High School
Tom Snyder: LDS Mission, Philippines
Jessie Sume: Weber State University
Beau Swenson: LDS Mission, Florida
T.J. Thorley: Davis High School
Abbi Williams: Weber State University

If our amazing teacher Andra Thorne left me with one thing, it was that you give what you can to others, and that will always be enough.












Andra Thorne. I owe so much of my happiness to you. Thank you for teaching me more than theater, my life has truly been changed for the better because of you.


No comments:

Post a Comment